First Presbyterian Church Records, Clarksville, Montgomery County, Reel #1 [1822-1922], MF #401, Image #004.
paper in bound book
Clarksville Tenn May 25th 1822 Agreeably to an appointment previously made the following persons met -- Abner Harris, Mary Harris, Lucinda Elder, Elizabeth Anderson, Jane Pettus, Catharine Pattillo, John H Hinton, Ann P. Hinton, Jane Carnes, Sally Carnes, Mary Cook, John [name], Duncan Galbraith & John Henderson, all members in good standing in different branches of the Presbyterian Church. The Revd. Lyman Whitney missionary of the Connecticut missionary society acted as moderator of the meeting. The whole having assented to the articles of faith and the rules of discipline adopted by the Presbyterian Church in the United States was regularly constituted into a church to be known by the name of the Presbyterian Church of Clarksville. John Patton and Ann Maria Patillo were received as members on examination -- Messr John Patton and Abner Harris were chosen and ordained elders in the usual form -- Oct 4th 1822 The sacrament was administered by the Revd Gideon Blackburn D.D. and the Revd. John Blackburn -- The following persons were admitted to membership. Mary McCaughan by certificate. Lucy Walker, Margaret Sample ,, ,, ,, Patton, Mary Mclure, Nancy Robbins, Wells Fowler and Mary Kidd on examination ,, ,, ,, Patton, Mary McLure and Nancy Robbins were baptized. == From the above date to January 1st 1834 no date no record of the Church has been kept -- there being no stated supply as Pastor -- in 1834 the following persons were admitted as regular members of the Church -- Mr. and Mrs. Prouty, Mrs. Rewly -- The following children were also baptized. Thos. McKnight